Taste & Tell: Grilled Salmon Salad
Grilled Salmon with Orzo, Feta, and Red Wine Vinaigrette
"Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are known to lower cholesterol, and it is about as healthy as fish can get."......(I agree!)
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces fresh baby spinach (about 3 cups not packed)
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted (see Kitchen Note)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, for garnish
Four 5-ounce skinless salmon fillets
Olive oil, for coating the fish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Prepare an outdoor grill for medium- high cooking over direct heat.
2. Meanwhile, make the orzo salad: Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain the orzo in a sieve and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar, shallots, and garlic together. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. In a large bowl, toss the warm orzo, spinach, tomatoes, pine nuts, and basil with the vinaigrette. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside at room temperature.
5. To cook the salmon: Coat the salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Oil the cooking grate. Place the salmon on the grill with the top right corner of each fillet facing the 2-o’clock position and cook for 4 minutes, without moving the salmon. (This will help give the salmon a good sear of nice grill marks and help it release from the grate.) Using a thin metal spatula, starting at the corner of each fillet nearest you, flip the fillets over. Grill for about 2 minutes, or until the fish is opaque with a slightly rosy center when flaked in the thickest part with the tip of a small knife. Remove from the grill.
6. Mound the salad in the center of a large serving platter or four dinner plates. Sprinkle with the feta cheese. Top with the salmon, sprinkle with the chives, and serve.