Taste & Tell: Strawberry + Feta + Spinach
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ground sea salt to taste
- Cook nuts in a skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until they are lightly toasted and fragrant. Add butter. Stir until the better has melted and coated the nuts. Stir in the maple syrup, cayenne, cinnamon and salt.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook, stirring, until the liquid has evaporated and the nuts are well coated. This should only take a couple of minutes. Be sure to remove from heat the second the liquid seems to have cooked down, because the mixture will burn quickly. Pour the walnuts onto a plate or into a bowl and allow to cool before tossing them on your salad.
- This yields enough walnuts for at least two salads, but you can easily double or triple the recipe and store the nuts in a covered container for later. One cup of walnuts may seem like plenty, but I scarfed them all down within 24 hours. Oops!
Assembling The Salad
toss fresh spinach with a drizzle of balsamic oil and olive oil. Add sliced strawberries, crumbled goat cheese and sweet and spicy walnuts. Make sure to try and buy organic with all these items as they are at risk for pesticide contamination.